The Vegan Countdown

Month of veganism complete!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Is Breast Milk Vegan?

This is Suzy. And I'd like to thank my somewhat skeptical, certainly comical and always supportive friend (for the sake of this blog, let's just call him C. Ahern or Conor A.) for posing this question. I did what any responsible, curious, researcher would do--I googled it.

As it turns out, there is quite a lot of information available on how to raise a vegan child. That rearing includes breastfeeding. Which leads me to believe that breastmilk is vegan. I guess it has to do with being species-specific, nutritious and natural?

However, there seems to be a new adult market for breastmilk--breastmilk cheese for a brief moment became the avant-garde offering at one NYC restaurant (I was told by a member of the NYC Health Department that this option was forced off the menu.) Whether or not breastmilk is available for public consumption or considered part of a vegan diet, don't expect to find it on any sandwich of mine anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment