The Vegan Countdown

Month of veganism complete!

Friday, June 25, 2010

The "Suzy Sympathy" Diet

I would like to thank Phil Devlin for his commitment to our cause. I recently found out that this wonderful father of my dear friend, Christine, has gone on a meatless diet to show his support. While perhaps this would better be titled the "Brandt Sympathy Diet", Phil's efforts are nevertheless appreciated!

I'm not a proponent of fad diets or cutting solid foods and/or entire macronutrients (a la Atkins) in order to lose weight or detox. However, making a change in a healthy and conscientious fashion, even if only temporarily, can permanently alter your dietary comfort zone. I know these 25 days without meat/dairy/eggs has done just that for me. I have become more open to new dishes as permanent mealtime staples (see the Recipes page for some of my favorites) and a much more creative cook, especially with legumes, vegetables and different spices; I also simply feel better, running more and recovering faster. I imagine many aspects of this diet will stick with me after our 30-day trial run, and it doesn't feel like a tremendous effort any longer.

I'm not saying a month of veganism is something everyone should do. And I'm not saying that dramatic dietary experimentation is for everyone. But I would encourage everyone to try at least a minor health-conscious change for an entire month. Nothing crazy--incorporate a new whole grain twice a week, switch to natural sweeteners (like summertime fruit!), skip the 3rd (or 6th) beer of the night...whatever it is for you, try it. And see if it becomes comfortable.

And Brandt, I know you still don't find veganism "comfortable" by any stretch. But at least Falafel night is something we will look forward to even when hamburgers and cheese platters are options.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Suzy! I think making a simple change for one month is a great idea and fosters an understanding of certain aspects of your relationship with food that otherwise may have gone unnoticed. It's great to hear that you've inspired people in your life to make healthy choices! In honor of the last day of your experiment, I'd like to say congratulations and good work!

    ReplyDelete